LWVSC supports effective and empowered local government through:
1. Providing for additional options for the structure, methods of election and/or appointment and financing of local government bodies, including councils and commissions, in Accordance with Article VIII of the S.C. Constitution (Home Rule).
2. Creating annexation regulations for municipalities that:
a. Permit city-initiated annexation. A referendum of resident voters in the area to be annexed shall take place only if there is a petition against the annexation.
b. Permit unilateral city-initiated annexation in the case of enclaves.
c. Provide for annexation by petition of the property owners in the area proposed to be annexed or by a combination wherein residents who are registered voters are given equal standing as petitioners with property owners.
d. Establish procedures and criteria for annexation.
e. Address the disposition of the property of public service and special purpose districts in annexed areas.
3. Permitting consolidation as an alternative to annexation.
4. Placing no constitutional limit on local debt authorization other than that the debt be incurred in pursuit of law.
5. Requiring that changes in the structures of the school board and/or consolidating, splitting, or redrawing school district lines should be subject to a referendum by the voters in the affected school district(s).